The story is set in an unidentified rainforest, where a 12-year-old girl has been living alone since her dad died. Out of the blue one day, another girl and her father arrive, and the two girls become best friends.
I'm only a third of the way through, but here's a partial list of the trouble my student author has thrown in the path of her adventurous protag:
1. The best friend has to go home;
2. The car breaks down;
3. She loses her prized telescope;
4. A killer tiger threatens them;
5. She falls from a cliff to almost certain death;
6. The forest burns down; and
7. When the protag is caught in the inferno, something terrible happens that I'm not even going to tell you here . . .
You'll have to read the book to find out! Remember, conflict and tension keep a reader turning the pages.